By Joseph "Skull Vault" Walter
However, since we're in the Halloween season, and for some reason, "Castlevania" seems to be the go-to game for the Halloween season, I'd like to highlight the simple-but-effective "Castlevania 64" title screen for this entry!
We get everything we need to know:
- A threatening panorama of Dracula's Castle, aka "Castlevania"
- A dreary color palette, angry weather, and a large blood moon.
- An utterly gorgeous rendition of the "Bloodlines" theme form "Castlevania: Rondo of Blood"
- A character who will be pertinent to the game's story
- And, of course, the title itself, presented in the classic style that adorned the original entries.
In a brief time, we understand the tone, get to hear a sample of the awesome audio, and get a hint of the plot, all while being reminded that this comfortably fits into a classic, beloved franchise, despite the jump to 3D.
And while this game is deeply flawed, especially when considering its expanded follow-up, "Legacy of Darkness," it's obvious that its strength is in its production, plot, storytelling, horror-influences and atmosphere. All made abundantly clear through its masterfully concise Title Screen.